Hooray for all the moms in our lives—mothers, grandmothers, godmothers, stepmothers, mothers-in-law, foster moms, bonus moms, other-mothers, aunts, wives, partners, sisters, friends, fellow moms, mentors, and women who love with a mother’s heart.
Chances are you know at least a few moms who deserve a shout-out on Mother’s Day. If you’d like some creative ideas for what to write in their Mother’s Day cards you’ve come to the right place—we’ve got tons of inspiration in the form of Mother’s Day messages and closing wishes from Hallmark writers.
Read the whole guide or jump straight to the specific ideas that suit your style or your need. Whichever way you go, we hope our ideas help you honor and celebrate the amazing mothers in your life!
Her love is big—but it’s okay if your message isn’t. Sometimes the truest things are the simplest things.
If making Mom laugh is more your style—or if showing lots of emotion is uncomfortable for you—a funny Mother’s Day message might feel like a more genuine way to connect with her.
- You hold such a special place in my heart. I’m so thankful for you.
- I’m so proud to be your [son/daughter/child/kid].
- Right from the start, you supported me in everything. Thank you for being there with just the love I needed.
- Now that I’m grown, I don’t just feel gratitude for you—I admire you.
- Raising me took a lot of patience. Thanks for hanging in there with me!
- Mama, you sacrificed so I could rise. I want you to know I see that.
- With love from the luckiest [son/daughter/child/kid] in the world.
- Sorry if I drove you crazy sometimes—but you know I only do that to people I love!
- Happy Mother’s Day, Mama. Every day I’m thankful you’re mine.
- You’re my mom. You’re my friend. You’re everything to me.
- Mama, you often stood between me and the unfair stuff. Thank you for protecting my spirit.
- Mamá, eres muy especial en mi vida, y por eso este Día de las Madres te deseo mucho amor y felicidad.
- For all you do and all you are, we love you with all our hearts.
- As a [mom/mother-in-law/grandma]—you’re the best, and we feel so blessed to have you!
- Mama, your love speaks to each of us in just the way we need.
- Thanks for putting up with us! We love you so very, very much.
- Thanks for making home the happiest place to be.
- We’re thinking of you with lots of love today!
- Mom, you’re the glue that holds us together.
- Gracias por tanto esfuerzo y dedicación. Te queremos con todo el corazón.
If you’re very lucky, you have an auntie, godmother or another caring woman close to you who has been a unique mix of a friend, family, mentor and/or bonus mom to you through the years. Here are some things you might say to someone who’s like a mother to you on Mother’s Day.
- Mom, I was lucky enough to inherit your eyes and your sense of humor. I keep hoping I’ll get your lie-detector capabilities, too!
- Happy Mother’s Day, from your favorite child. (It’s okay, I haven’t told the others.)
- Roses are red, violets are blue. I brought you this Mother’s Day card…mind if I raid the fridge, too?
- If I ever win the lottery, I’m totally making sure you get all the overtime pay you deserve for being our family’s taxi driver, on-call nurse, personal shopper, and referee.
- One day a year to recognize a job that gets no days off a year? Get in the car, Mom…we’re unionizing.
- You know, Mom, it was really cool of you to ignore all those times I got home past curfew. What, you don’t remember that? Haha, just kidding, me either!
- I’m so grateful for your love—and the fact that you have never shared my bath-time pictures on social media.
- This Mother’s Day, I’d like to propose a deal—I’ll promise to visit more often if you’ll promise to stop referring to the dog as my brother. Agreed?
- Auntie, there’s simply no one else like you. I’m so blessed we’re family…and that we’re friends.
- You’ve been like a mom to me—someone I can tell anything and ask anything. Thank you for being such an important person in my life.
- With love to an amazing human…from someone who hopes to be half as amazing as you someday.
- Just wanted to recognize you on Mother’s Day for being such a caring and positive influence in my life.
- I’m forever grateful, and I look up to you more than you know.
- Happy Mother’s Day to an amazing woman I’ll always admire, appreciate and love!
- We hope it doesn’t come as a surprise that we’re thinking of you today. After all, you’ve loved us just like a mom.
- Every time my heart said “I need a/my mom,” you were there.
- Tu presencia en mi vida es un regalo de amor. Gracias por el cariño, el apoyo y tu sabiduría.